Friday, October 31, 2014

Pinteresting, Vol.6

Happy Friday and Happy Halloween and welcome to Pinteresting! The part of the show where I roundup my favorite pins from this week and share them with the world. I pin recipes, decorating ideas, religious stuff, teaching thoughts, funny stuff from Tumblr, kids' activities, crafting ideas, knitting/crochet patterns, and cute cat pictures.


1) 
This Christmas Prep List

Now that Hallowtide is upon us, we can finally begin turning our eyes to the holiday season.  This list is for the thing you can do in November (which starts tomorrow, by the way!) to prepare for the holiday crazies. It is far from comprehensive and some of the things on the list are a bit frivolous and silly. I do like the idea of doubling some dinners to freeze, making a gift-giving list, getting a haircut, and giving your house a deep clean. Since my current house mate is planning to move out December 1st, I feel like November will be the month to do some serious deep cleaning while we pack up his stuff.

 2) 

Haley at Carrots for Michaelmas tweaked a more traditional recipe for these gluten free little cakes, traditionally given to people during Hallowtide, especially on the Feast of All Souls, to remember to pray for our dead as well as to recall that death is not the end. You can google All Souls' Day traditions and come up with a plethora of information. I plan to make them but I think I'm going the plenty-of-gluten route because I happen to have regular AP flour on hand. 

3) 

I love cauliflower. Alton Brown actually did a special episode of Good Eats (probably my favorite foodie show of all time) dedicated to this member of the cabbage family. But even the great Alton did not think to use them in tater tots. I'm really loving all the clever recipes for things that are substituting some of the heavy starchiness of potatoes (as wonderful and delicious and God-given as they are, they're not the healthiest thing in large quantities) with cauliflower. This recipe looks crazy simple and very smart. The only change I'd make is I would probably leave out the bell pepper. I wonder if you could pre-form a bunch of them and put them in the freezer to bake at one's leisure? mmm....

4)

This tea for two tea set is so lovely. It's functional and extremely beautiful in its simplicity. There's even a tea light holder beneath the pot to keep the bottom warm! I don't know if this could ever replace my precious little white teapot but it really is lovely.

5) 


After J&M's Sweet Sixteen, I've become a teensy bit obsessed with chalkboard art. Granted, I'm not a very good freehand artist (at all), but I feel like I did so much research on it that it would be foolish not to put it to use. I even bought a roll of self-adhesive chalkboard paper from Michael's which I intend to apply to the back wall of the kitchen between the pantry and the fridge. I think putting these kinds of pretty messages up would brighten up the kitchen considerably.

6)  


I originally pinned this because I know someone who is really into penguins. But I started thinking about it, and about all the amigurumi patterns I have, and thought, What if we made a bunch of ornament-sized, Christmas themed amigurumi for the holidays??? I doubt I'll have time to dedicate to a project like this in time for this Christmas, but it's a fun idea. It was actually something I thought about doing last year when the gifts for my immediate family were in the form of donations to Heifer International (I was going to knit a bee ornament for my mom because I gifted a hive of bees in her name, a goat for my dad, bunnies for my sisters, and so on.)

 
That's it for this week's edition of Pinteresting! I always enjoy curating my favorite, most recent pins. If you're not currently on Pinterest, make sure you take a moment to say goodbye to your loved ones before you log on, because there's no going back! You can follow me on Pinterest (any or all of my boards, find your cup of tea) HERE.

love,
Willow
 

**Author's Note: None of the images in this post are my property. I have borrowed them from Pinterest and made my best effort to ensure that the Pinterest pages linked to link to an original source. If you see your work here and want it taken down please see my About page and contact me. Thank you for not suing.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day!