Sunday, June 8, 2014

Answer Me This, Vol. 7 - Trains and Pains

 I'm on vacation in New Orleans!!! I will try to link this up with everyone but I may not have computer access at the hotel we're staying in so you may just have to be satisfied with the post and we'll do the linky-linking later.


Linking up with Kendra over at Catholic All Year for her Answer Me This Q&A type link-up, which is fun and way easier than coming up with my own original bloggy content.



1. Do you have a landline?

There is a landline in the place I live. It's not really mine, but I answer it most of the time. No one calls for me on that phone. We get a lot (I mean, 6-15 a day) of sales calls and hang-ups and crank calls. This is due in part to the fact that I'm positive our phone company sold our phone number, but mostly because the person I live with likes to give our phone number and address out to random strangers he meets at Starbucks and the grocery store. Mostly I'm not very nice to sales people and I usually count to three after I say "hello" before just hanging up because I don't have the patience for that nonsense.  It's not the nicest way of dealing with it but I have better things to waste my time on.

2. What is your least favorite food?

Spaghetti is evil and so are lima beans. According to my mother I loved spaghetti until I was about 5 or 6 - I have no memory of this and don't really believe her. Something about the sauce just makes me want to vomit. Over the last several years I've managed to not have to leave the room when sharing a table with people eating spaghetti but I still won't eat it and if the sauce is especially pungent I may have to excuse myself rather quickly.  I try not to be too rude about it since I know spaghetti is easy and cheap to make and a lot of people like it but I really, really can't stand it. Lima beans just taste like chalk and are therefore inedible.


3. What's on your summer reading list?

All the books!!! I'm definitely planning to read a lot this summer since I've read I think only 6 books since the New Year. That's a little more than a book a month, which is okay, but not anything like what it should be.


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
Behind the Beautiful Forevers (for the Nerdfighter Book Club)
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Privilege of Being Catholic

That's the list of things I'm requiring myself to finish independently. My little sisters and I are instituting a Sisters Summer Bookclub this summer to meet weekly and I'd like for us to get through at least 3 books this summer:
The Great Gatsby
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
and The Fault in Our Stars or another John Green novel. I haven't decided if I want to do that one or Paper Towns.

My goal is for us to have bonding time, but also to expose them (the younger one especially) to a broader world of reading with guidance. The older of the two tried to read Gatsby and had no idea what was going on. I feel like if we read them together they'd develop a deeper understanding of the books. I also want to encourage them to improve their verbal skills by reading aloud because reading aloud is important, even in teens.
 

4. Is there something people consistently ask for your advice on? What is it?

Grammar, spelling, punctuation. Since I'm a stickler for those kinds of things I'm often used as a walking, talking dictionary, thesaurus, and friendly neighborhood Grammar Nazi.
via Pinterest

5. What's the most physically demanding thing you've ever done?

I'm not one of those people who can't hack it physically. I mean, I'm not in great shape, but I was raised to suck it up and not be a whiner about things. However, the most physically difficult and demanding and awful thing I've ever done/endured would be hauling my heavy luggage through a variety of French train stations while trying to get to Paris and then walking around Paris in the rain after some woman dropped her heavy luggage on my right foot after she pushed me off of a train because she was in a hurry. Blood was everywhere, I went into shock, and I passed out twice right there on the platform. Thankfully there was a doctor in our traveling party (granted he was a dental surgeon but he had more medical experience than the rest of us), and he bandaged my foot and I had some water and was ultimately okay, but I still had to drag a suitcase through two more train stops and then through Paris. Also, when we got to Paris, it rained almost the whole time we were there and I could only wear flip flops for a couple of days, so I got a cold (my immune system was already compromised from three weeks of close quarters with strangers and you know, going into shock on a French train platform). It was physically excruciating and exhausting and generally left my experience of France with much to be desired.

6. How do you feel about massages?

My mom's a licensed massage therapist/holistic health practitioner so I generally have a very positive outlook when it comes to holistic health and massage therapy. Unfortunately, I'm apparently a delicate little flower so I have to have froo-froo massage - no deep tissue for me. I don't know if it's because my mom is used to doing deep tissue or if she doesn't realize her own strength or if she doesn't have the patience to deal with the fact that I like to be worked on gently, but I can't get massages from her. I usually go to this zen spa type place (they send me coupons in the mail!) and get an inexpensive massage. If I'm really hurting, though, I go to mom and beg for relief.



So that's it for this round of Answer Me This! If you have a blog, answer the questions and link up with us over at Kendra's in this post. Don't have a blog but still want to play? That's okay because this whole thing is made up and the posts don't matter - leave your answers in the comments either at Kendra's post or right here! I'd love to hear from you.



love,
Willow


*Author's Note: None of the pictures in this post are my property. I've given credit as best I can where I could; the images of book covers are available at their respective Amazon listings, even though Amazon is currently playing the part of evil corporate magnate overlord of evil. *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day!