Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Answer Me This, Vol. 9 - Hipster Tattoos

Welcome to Answer Me This! The Q&A style linkup hosted by Kendra over at Catholic All Year which is super fun and easier than coming up with my own content. (Or I'm just really self-absorbed and love answering surveys. Who cares!)




1. When's the last time you got a new bathing suit?
 Ugh, it's been years. It's been years since I wore a bathing suit, actually. Ugh, let's move on...

2. Who made the last incoming call on your phone?
Red Cross, as usual. They call me about 4-6 times a week to ask me for a blood donation, even though I've told them to take me off the list because I'm severely iron deficient (even with a daily iron supplement) and anemic so I am not eligible to donate. I always ignore those calls.


3. If you receive communion, do you receive it in the hands or on the tongue?
In the hands. I'm a slight germaphobe, and the thought of someone putting their hands that close to my open mouth is a little icky. I mean, if I was holding a baby or pushing a walker or something like that, of course I'd take it on the tongue but not so much for the average Sunday. Also, I like the idea of holding our Lord in my hands - it's very humbling.

4. Do you have a tattoo?
Yes, yes I do. And it surprises a lot of people when they notice it. I got it the September of my 19th year in Venice Beach on a cloudy afternoon when my brother came to visit me at school on his Sunday off. We wandered all over the boardwalk and our goal was to find someplace for me to get my first tat but we weren't really planning on doing it that day. Until we found a place and we got talking to different artists and he decided to get his next tattoo right then and there. I was still hesitant but I talked to this guy more and more and told him what I wanted. He sketched out multiple versions of the design I wanted, even going so far as to stylize my own handwriting for the text, and gave me a killer deal. It's not perfect and I've seen similar tats that are better executed, but I love its imperfections anyway.

sorry for the poor image quality


I also successfully hid my tattoo from my parents and my employers for almost a year. My bosses didn't mind. My parents did.
(*Also, hipster moment: I had this idea and then had it done before these infinity sign tattoos were super popular, so there.*)
P.S. I have plans to get another. Maybe more. Sorry, Mom and Dad...

5. How many dinner plates are in your house?
A few. A lot. What counts? The dinner plates we use daily or the Fiesta Ware that is better suited to a Mexican restaurant than my tiny kitchen? We have about 10 standard dinner plates - Cornell I think - which I inherited from my grandmother. The Fiesta ware is that heavy, extra-large, brightly colored set of about 8 giant plates that I inherited from my mother who got them from a friend whose restaurant went out of business a few years ago. I don't use those very often because they're gigantic and heavy and not practical for everyday dinner use.


6. Do you have an accent?
Not really. I (I think) have a very bland manner of speaking that - in my opinion - is pretty neutral. I don't have the classic California surfer twang, I don't have my dad's hint of a midwestern drawl; I have my mother's generic SoCal voice. My sisters have accents: the older of the two slurs and has a lisp and sounds like she's from the Pacific Northwest; the younger sounds like a typical Valley Girl (omg, like, so annoying).
My dad says I'm a bit of a vocal chameleon. When we came back from Louisiana, there was a distinct hint of a southern accent in every word I said (it was worse while we were there, though, believe me). When my mom and I came back from London, I had an accent for a week. When we came back from Paris, I had a halting lilt to my voice. I adapt to the way other people talk so I don't feel out of place.  It's weird but it's what I do.
In general, though, the consensus among my family is that I'm the well-spoken one who talks like an encyclopedia would sound.


So that's it for this round of Answer Me This! If you have a blog, answer the questions and link up with us over at Kendra's in this post. Don't have a blog but still want to play? That's okay because this whole thing is made up and the posts don't matter - leave your answers in the comments either at Kendra's post or right here! I'd love to hear from you.



love,
Willow


*Author's Note: The "Answer me This" logo image belongs to Kendra Tierney over at Catholic All Year. The other image(s) in this post are my property. Thank you for not suing or stealing.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day!